Forum OpenACS Development: Re: Screen name / real name parameter

Collapse
Posted by Benjamin Bytheway on
I've thought about some of the difficulties associated with the screen/real name parameter and I think I have come up with a solution that is workable.

Setting the screen name parameter before any user signs up isn't a big problem.  The user will always be prompted to input a user name at registration.  The main problems arise when the switch is toggled after a number of users have registered.  Previous users won't have a screen name because they weren't prompted for one at user sign up.  To solve this problem, when the screen_name parameter is turned on, users will be identified by screen_name, if it exists, or their real name if it does not.

This is perhaps an overly simple solution, but one that would eliminate the necessity of modifying ad_maybe_redirect_for_registration, because every user would be identifyable by some handle.  Of course, I'm not sure as of yet how the external authentication package will impact this, but I'll push forward to get this implemented.

My plan is to do this in the 4.6 branch unless I am told that it would be better done in HEAD.

Collapse
Posted by Roberto Mello on
Simple is good, and I like your solution. It would be a nice feature to have for many sites.

-Roberto