Forum OpenACS Development: Re: CMS forms + widgets versus Classified Ads

Collapse
Posted by Dave Bauer on
Tammy,

Are you customizing the existing CMS package? Basically any parts of CMS that are generally useful should be moved into a seperate service package. Some of the parts might belong in the content repository, and some others might be generally useful as part of acs-templating. Others might be more specific to a content management system. It is my goal to end up with a package that provides CMS service to another package that presents the CMS user interface.

I am going to be working on ETP in the next couple of weeks to bring it more in line with standard content repository features. I am also coordinating with Jun and his BCMS package (in contrib) so that we can eventually have a clear set of tools for building a CMS.

Collapse
Posted by tammy m on
Hi Dave,

Great news that ETP + BCMS + CMS are being worked on:) It'd be so great to have a working CMS system with a basic UI like Typo3, Plone or some such with OACS.

I'm not customizing existing CMS. Here's what I have done so far. Hold on it's not pretty. I am using existing CMS tcl/sql procs AND Classified Ads (from Deds) tcl/sql procs in a package I am making for myself. So far the Classified Ads procs all use the CMS procs and expand on that concept with widgets that work for me.

What I could do is pull out the procs I'm using from Classified Ads, make them a little more generic (wouldn't take much, they are pretty usable even from another package so far!) and put them in a new package of their own. If that would make it any easier for you to see what worked and didn't work in CMS for me.