Forum .LRN Q&A: dotlrn translation

Collapse
Posted by jorge freitas on
I'd like to translate my instalation of dotlrn 1.0 (at least the navegation text and the more visible text) to portuguese, but i dont know nothing about the acs-lang and how to use it or where to start. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Collapse
2: Re: dotlrn translation (response to 1)
Posted by Manuel A. Fernandez Montecelo on
hi:

I was translating to portuguese these days, so I can explain to you how to do it, I have quite experience whith this system, and in addition we can work together in the language.

it's up to you to decide to use this thread or to mail me (manuel at sindominio dot net), I think that usually the first method is prefered :)

bye!

Collapse
3: Re: dotlrn translation (response to 1)
Posted by Windell Dubois on
Hi Manuel and Jorge!!!
I dont know portuguese, but Id apreciate it if either one of you could help me use the acs-lang package for my dotlrn installation. I dont really know how to make the translations work or anything, and Im in great need of it, so if you could give me a hand I would really apreciate it.

Thanks in advance...

Windell.

Collapse
4: Re: dotlrn translation (response to 3)
oh, I only have experience translating it, nothing to do with installing that package and getting the translations working, sorry :(
Collapse
5: Re: dotlrn translation (response to 1)
Manuel, I appreciate the help, you can tell me all about the system and how it works. But at this moment i'm in the same situation of Windell, needing whit urgency to know how to put acs-lang to work and how to use it to translate my dotlrn installation. If one of you find any help in this matter, please tell me about it, i'll do the same. If anyone else knows someting about it, any help will be welcome. Thanks.
Collapse
7: Re: dotlrn translation (response to 1)
Posted by Jarkko Laine on
Jorge (and others),

Please take a look at the translation server (http://translate.dotlrn.collaboraid.net/). It's THE place to do all the translation work, if at all possible. Please ask Peter (peter at collaboraid dot biz) to give you translator rights after you've logged in.

If there's no way you can use the translator server, you should be able to do the translation even on your own OpenACS instance. You can find the getting started guide on the front page of the tr. server. It applies even to your own box. Please remember that if there's more than one people taking care of one language (like in your case) it's much easier to coordinate your work if you all work on the translation server.

NOTE: you cannot do the translation on openacs 4.6 and dotlrn 1.0 branches or tarballs. Both have to be checked out from CVS head. There's no way around it.

Collapse
6: Re: dotlrn translation (response to 1)
Posted by Peter Marklund on
In order to use Internationalization and the acs-lang package you need to get dotlrn from CVS (see https://openacs.org/projects/dotlrn/dotlrn-doc/dotlrn-installation).  Using any dotlrn 1.X releases won't work, don't waste your time with that.

In the interest of sharing translations of the .LRN UI with everybody in the community we have been doing translations on the translation server at http://translate.dotlrn.collaboraid.net. I recommend that you do your translations there as well.

I've just now committed all new locales and UI translations from the translation server to CVS so that you can accss them on your local installations of .LRN.

Instructions about how to use I18N are at the translation server start page, in the APM if you click on a package and click Manage Internationalization, as well as in the I18N xml document in acs-core-docs.

Let me know if you have questions.

Collapse
8: Re: dotlrn translation (response to 1)
Peter, I trying to make another installation of dotlrn from the cvs HEAD, but i get the following error in the "OpenACS Installation: Welcome" page:
      Problems with XML support for AOLserver:

tDOM is not installed! You must have tDOM installed, or nothing will work. 
what do i have to do? Thanks.
Collapse
9: Re: dotlrn translation (response to 8)
Posted by Bart Teeuwisse on
jorge,

Go to http://tdom.org and download tDOM. Follow the included installation instruction.

/Bart

Collapse
10: Re: dotlrn translation (response to 1)
Bart, The installation of the tDOM will afect the outhers installations of dotlrn (that use nsxml) that i have in the same machine? Thanks.
Collapse
11: Re: dotlrn translation (response to 5)
in order to translate, you have to go to the site that Jarkko said, and log in (create an account before if needed, etc).

then, you have to choose to either complete the pt_BR translation or to set up the pt_PT one (I can create the "language" for you) and begin from scratch.

at the botton of the index page in the site, there's a "Getting Started" little guide. there are two methods:

- to activade the "translator mode", so when you enter the dotlrn site you have the same interface, but can click in each message to translate/edit it. I think that this is useful to fix the mistakes done with the other method (mistakes because of the lack of context with the second method, mispellings, etc), translate all the site with this is quite slow/boring.

- following the "Edit Messages" link in that getting started guide, you choose your locale and go to a page where you can translate all messages, no need to surf the interface seeking for all the translatable strings. in addition, there're some error conditions that you won't reach in normal circumstances, so you can't translate everything with the first method.

whatever the method, it's important to have some discipline and to coordinate with the other people, to use the same terms, etc., to do a good translation.

I can't help you with putting this to work in a production system; but you must have into account that if you translate  your installation, the rest of the community does not benefit from your work and, in addition, even you can't benefit from your own work when you upgrade, unless you do some kind of -I guess, complicated- hacking when you upgrade. anyway, I think that if you can do this you can also translate in the translation server, and hack your installation with translations from the CVS when commited, and so it's best from all of us :)

Collapse
12: Re: dotlrn translation (response to 1)
Peter, I couldnt find the instructions to make i18n work in any of the places you said, could you point out the exact place, or perhaps point me to another way to get the translation package to work?

Thanks,

Windell.

Collapse
13: Re: dotlrn translation (response to 12)
Windell,

Could you please be a bit more specific about what you did and what you couldn't do? Did you follow the instructions in the end of this page: http://translate.dotlrn.collaboraid.net/ ?

If so, how far did you get without problems? Are you working on translation server? Or are you talking about totally different thigs?

Collapse
14: Re: dotlrn translation (response to 1)
Manuel,
I'm interested in participate in the pt_PT translation. You say that you can create the "language", if you can do that i appreciated, since you have more experience. Another thing, whit who i speak to have access.
Thanks.
Collapse
15: Re: dotlrn translation (response to 1)
Well Jarkko, I was able to enter the page, and do the translation work, that was no problem at all. What I couldnt do was find the way to make the translations work on my implementation of dotLRN. That is exaclty what I need to know, because I couldnt find the "manage internationalization" link that Peter mentioned earlier...  I tried searching for the i18n xml file too, but I couldnt find it, so thats why I wrote back here.
All help will be greatly apreciated.

Windell.

Collapse
16: Re: dotlrn translation (response to 15)
Windell,

If you have checked dotLRN and OpenACS out from CVS Head (see https://openacs.org/projects/dotlrn/dotlrn-doc/dotlrn-installation for instructions), you should have a "Change Locale" link at the bottom of dotLRN pages. If not, you probably have dotLRN 1.0.

The "Manage internationalization" link is in the page where you get when you click a particular package name in the APM front page. It's a fairly new addition, I don't seem to have that link in one of my oacs instances which I haven't updated recently.

Remember that the changes you make in the translation server won't get to CVS until someone (=Peter) commits the message catalogs.

Collapse
17: Re: dotlrn translation (response to 14)
:/

it seems that the link to create locales is missing, can anybody fix this?

the second question was answered by Jarkko few messages ago: "Please ask Peter (peter at collaboraid dot biz) to give you translator rights after you've logged in" ;)

Collapse
18: Re: dotlrn translation (response to 1)
I wasnt able to checkout the survey module, when I issued the cvs command:
cvs -z3 -d :pserver:mailto:anonymous@openacs.org:/cvsroot checkout survey

I got this error:

cvs server: cannot find module `survey' - ignored
cvs [checkout aborted]: cannot expand modules

Is there a problem with the module or it hasn't it been commited yet?

Collapse
19: Re: dotlrn translation (response to 1)
Posted by Ola Hansson on
Windell,

Try again. I just added survey as a module.

Collapse
20: Re: dotlrn translation (response to 1)
Thanks Ola, I was able to checkout survey now.

Jorge, were you able to make tDOM work properly? I got 5 errors while running the domCmd.test file (while running the make test command to be more precise).  What can I do about that?  I'll post the full results of the test here.  Thanks.

make test
TCL_LIBRARY=`echo /usr/src/build/138946-i386/BUILD/tcltk-8.3.3/tcl8.3.3/library` LD_LIBRARY_PATH=".:/usr/lib::/usr/local/pgsql/lib" LIBPATH=".:/usr/lib:" SHLIB_PATH=".:/usr/lib:" PATH=".:/usr/lib:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/usr/local/pgsql/bin" TCLLIBPATH="." /usr/lib/../bin/tclsh `echo ../tests/all.tcl` -constraints longRunning
Tcl 8.3.3 tests running in interp:  /usr/lib/../bin/tclsh
Tests running in working dir:  ../tests
Only sourcing test files that match:  *.test
Tests began at Wed Jun 25 13:16:45 CST 2003
attribute.test
cdata.test
comment.test
decls.test
doctype.test
dom.test
domCmd.test

==== domCmd-6.2 -useForeignDTD 1 with document with internal subset FAILED
==== Contents of test case:

set baseURI file://[file join [pwd] [file dir [info script]] domCmd.test]
    set ::tDOM::useForeignDTD "data/domCmd1.dtd"
    set doc [dom parse  -useForeignDTD 1  -baseurl $baseURI  -externalentitycommand ::tDOM::extRefHandler {
<!DOCTYPE root [
    <!ATTLIST root fixed CDATA #FIXED "toThat">
]>
<root/>}]
    set root [$doc documentElement]
    set result [$root @fixed]
    $doc delete
    set result

==== Test generated error:
invalid command name "::tDOM::extRefHandler"
---- Result should have been:
toThat
==== domCmd-6.2 FAILED

==== domCmd-6.3 -useForeignDTD 1 with document with internal subset FAILED

set doc [dom parse  -useForeignDTD 1  -baseurl $baseURI  -externalentitycommand ::tDOM::extRefHandler {
<!DOCTYPE root [
    <!ATTLIST root fixed2 CDATA #FIXED "toThat">
]>
<root/>}]
    lappend result [$root @fixed2]
    $doc delete
    set result

toThis toThat
==== domCmd-6.3 FAILED

==== domCmd-6.4 -useForeignDTD 1 with document without document declaration FAILED

set doc [dom parse  -useForeignDTD 1  -baseurl $baseURI  -externalentitycommand ::tDOM::extRefHandler <root/>]
    $doc delete
    set result

toThis
==== domCmd-6.4 FAILED

==== domCmd-6.5 -useForeignDTD 1 does not overwrite a given external subset FAILED

<!DOCTYPE root SYSTEM "data/domCmd2.dtd">
<root/>}]
    $doc delete
    set result

toThat
==== domCmd-6.5 FAILED

==== domCmd-7.1 document with external subset FAILED

set doc [dom parse  -baseurl $baseURI  -externalentitycommand ::tDOM::extRefHandler {
<!DOCTYPE root SYSTEM "data/domCmd2.dtd">
<root/>}]
    $doc delete
    set result

toThat
==== domCmd-7.1 FAILED

domnamespace.test
element.test
entity.test
htmlreader.test
i18n.test
namespace.test
parser.test
pcdata.test
pi.test
stackedhdl.test
xmlsimple.test
xmltest.test
xpath.test
xslt.test

Tests ended at Wed Jun 25 13:16:49 CST 2003
all.tcl:        Total  482    Passed  473    Skipped 4      Failed  5
Sourced 21 Test Files.
Files with failing tests: domCmd.test
Number of tests skipped for each constraint:
        4      knownBug

Collapse
21: Re: dotlrn translation (response to 1)
Windell,
Yes, i make the tDOM work. I have installed in the folowing way (I'm using aolserver 3.x):

1) see the README.AOL included with tDOM.

2) cd tDOM-0.7.7/unix

3) Configure the CONFIG file, if you compiling tDOM for aolserver 3.x remove

--with-tcl=$aolsrc/tcl8.3.4/unix

from the aolserver 3.x section.

4) Install:
$ make clean (to clean up the current installation)
$ sh CONFIG
$ make

5) copy the library libtdom0.7.7.so to your aolserver/bin directory. You can rename it to nstdom.so (or not).

6) Configure the aolserver initialization file, including in the "modules to load" section the following:

ns_param nstdom ${bindir}/nstdom.so (or libtdom0.7.7.so if you to not rename it)

If you have a openacs installation that use tdom, include the line above in the respective openacs nsd.tcl file also.

7) Restart the server.

I hope it works.
See This for help.

I have a Problem with my installation of dotlrn from the cvs HEAD, maybe you can help.
Thanks.
Collapse
22: Re: dotlrn translation (response to 1)
Manuel,
I already have translator rights, can you help me with the creation of the new locale pt_PT? Thanks.