Forum OpenACS Q&A: Oracle XE wont work with OpenACS

Collapse
Posted by Malte Sussdorff on
Due to the reliance on Java for string to blob manipulation and other things it is impossible to use Oracle XE for OpenACS, though it is the best option for a quick installation and free as in free beer.

If anyone has an idea how to get rid of the java stored procedures in the latest versions of Oracle that would be great to know.

Collapse
Posted by Patrick Giagnocavo on
Malte, what exactly does not work for you?

I understand the PHP Oracle libs will work with XE, so I would assume that the nsoracle.so would also work.

Or are you saying that the Oracle code that OpenACS uses, requires Java running inside Oracle? According to Oracle they will not ship Java with XE.

Would be interested in working on this with you as Oracle XE is something some clients might be interested in.

Collapse
Posted by Malte Sussdorff on
OpenACS requires stored JAVA procedures in acs-content-repository to deal with STRING to BLOB and such things (just go to /packages/acs-content-repository/java and take a look). I assume you can do this now with dbms_log PLSQL functions or util_raw, but I am no Oracle guru and I gave up after digging around for some time.

Getting Oracle XE to run would also be great as installing it is as easy as running PostgreSQL if you follow these instructions: http://www.cognovis.de/developer/en/oracle-xe-installation