Forum OpenACS Q&A: Re: PG 7.2-> 7.3 upgrade gotcha?

Collapse
Posted by Michael Steigman on
Jonathon - I don't think pg_dump is the problem. There was a limit of 31 characters prior to 7.3 (someone correct me if I'm wrong) so the functions were truncated when created. I'm not an expert but I doubt that PG keeps the full name around after the functions have been created.

Til - I reloaded everything manually. I just queried for function names of 31 characters and built up a huge file of drop/create commands. That's the simple, braindead way and it *seems* to have worked. I did have to drop and recreate one view (acs_messages_latest) but that's it. It would be nice to have a little script to do this automatically.

If there are views in particular you are curious/worried about, let me know and I'll test them out. As I said, I haven't tested thoroughly.

Also, I don't think workaround you mention would help as the problem occurs when the plsql functions which have been truncated are called by their full names from other plsql functions or from xql files. There may be an option to enable PG to look for truncated names in 7.3. I did look at the 7.3 release notes which contain a few upgrade tips but that's not mentioned. There's a link to some additional upgrade tips but the link leads to a 404. I haven't looked any further yet.