Forum .LRN Q&A: dotLRN infrastructure and case studies

Hi,
We just finished a first version of a white paper with case studies on dotLRN.
"We describe the OpenACS web application framework and dotLRN, its Course Management System. dotLRN is an ongoing open source project to deliver a complete course and community management infrastructure that is scalable, robust, extendable and complies to open standards. The software, which is currently used to deliver online courses and collaboration tools at a number of major universities, is based on the OpenACS platform that implements an object oriented data model on a relational database. dotLRN includes functionalities for the school portal, student and class management, calendars, forums, file sharing, etc. In this paper we describe some of its features, its architecture and provide several case studies of institutions adopting it." Thanks to all that helped providing us with information. All the mistake are ours, and we would like to hear about them. cheers
Collapse
Posted by Lars Pind on
Rafael,

Thanks a bunch for contributing this. That's great.

One thing that struck me is in section 2.2.7: "... a lot of effort is going into making dorLRN complaint (LARS: compliant?) with SCORM 1.3 standards. This should be available in July 2003".

Apart from the typo in "complaint", does that mean that it's done now? Or it will be later this month? Or should the date be updated?

Let us know when we can link this from http://dotlrn.org

/Lars

Collapse
Posted by Rafael Calvo on
Lars
Thanks for catching the errors.
That was Ernie's first estimate based on an a simpler architecture, he has now changed that but we did not correct teh date here.
One of the things missing is the SCORM runtime, a large javascript application.
I will try to get it done here at WEG, but I can not give you a date, sorry.
I am aboout to leave for 1 week holiday. I will fix both when I come back.

cheers

Collapse
Posted by Ernie Ghiglione on
Lars,

As we discussed over the phone, I have started writing the doc about IMS and SCORM so we can put it on the community. I will make it available in a week or so. Right after that, I will start reading some code in different packages to see how to go about implementing IMS Metadata and Content Package specs as service contracts (or what ever it is) to make these implementation accessible from other applications.

Ernie