Forum OpenACS Q&A: Address-Book, Contacts-Heavy, Contacts-Lite

I've been looking into the various address-book-keeping modules OpenACS is offering:

• Address-Book looks completely unmaintained. Is someone taking care of it? If not, I think it should be pushed down to the contrib dir: you can't even add a contact because there is a function "place::address::entry1row address address" gone amiss.
  • Contacts-Lite: I downloaded it from Jon's page, couldn't set it up properly. I'll get this on 4.6.1:

psql:contacts-plsql.sql:61: ERROR:  parser: parse error at or near "t"
    psql:contacts-plsql.sql:70: ERROR:  parser: parse error at or near "'"
    psql:contacts-plsql.sql:71: ERROR:  parser: parse error at or near "v_return"
    psql:contacts-plsql.sql:75: ERROR:  parser: parse error at or near "delete"
    psql:contacts-plsql.sql:78: ERROR:  Attribute 'p_contact_id' not found
    psql:contacts-plsql.sql:80: ERROR:  parser: parse error at or near "raise"
    psql:contacts-plsql.sql:82: ERROR:  parser: parse error at or near "perform"
    psql:contacts-plsql.sql:84: ERROR:  parser: parse error at or near "return"
    psql:contacts-plsql.sql:89: ERROR:  parser: parse error at or near "'"

Should I retry with HEAD? And why is contacts-lite not in the CVS contrib?
  • Contacts-Heavy: Is it going? Will it be finished/nearly finished/be able to looked at anytime soon?

So is there an address book application that (almost) works?

Collapse
Posted by Jade Rubick on
Dirk, you may know this, but address-book-lite (Jon's package) is, as far as I understand it, just a UI built on top of the telecom-number, postal-address, and possibly organizations.

It might need some updating, too, because organizations has gone through some data model changes recently.

I'm not certain that it is just a UI on top of these things, but I believe that's what he's done.

I'd encourage you to use something that builds on telecom-number, postal-address, and maybe organizations.

Collapse
Posted by Matthew Geddert on
Contacts-Heavy is already in production on the site i wrote it for. I have called it "Contacts". It is still under developement and certainly not "generic" yet, though the basic functionality is there. I am hoping that i will have a generic alpha release by August 15th that isn't specific to our needs... but the way things have been going here that date may be pushed back. I don't have anybody helping to develop it, though i have an offer to help bug fixes once i get an alpha release ready, if you would like to help in its development let me know.
Collapse
Posted by Dirk Gomez on
Matthew, can't promise to help you. Mostly I would want to look at it and see
whether it could be the base for my project. If so, I'll certainly be helping.

On which OpenACS version are you?

Collapse
Posted by Matthew Geddert on
i should be able to get you a "demo" copy of the base code within a week or two (though it won't have all the functionality yet). I am based on 4.6.3  and have tested on 4.6 (i would guess that it would work on 4.5 since it is pretty self contained). It needs three packages from CVS HEAD aka 4.7 (postal-address,ref-itu,telecom-number),  but at least the versions of those packages i downloaded a month or more ago work fine with 4.6.3 without problems.