Forum OpenACS Q&A: Re: Notification of Calendar Events

Collapse
Posted by Tom Jackson on

If an event calendar is going to be time zone aware, the time zone (location) of the event must also be known. Knowing just the time zone of the user isn't really enough. Hey, what if something happens in Arizona, the scheduler is in California and another user is in New York, or worse, Iran. Plus you need the ability for the user to change time zones as they travel. Maybe some of this could be automated with an ip map?

Seems that time stuff can be very hard, and a dumb solution might be better than a half solved, difficult to use one.

Collapse
Posted by Dirk Gomez on
Tom, I don't think that my solution is dumb, I find it user-friendly and easy to program:)
Collapse
Posted by Tom Jackson on

Dirk, I don't think it was you that moved html into the library procedures, or am I wrong? I believe OpenForce did a major half-rewrite leaving things in a different, but not any better, state. Things in the cal-* files, which would have been an easy place to make changes to html, were moved into library procedures, where every change requires a restart, or resourcing of the tcl procs.

It sounds to me like you are working on moving html out of the tcl procs and tcl files, which I think is very helpful for making Calendar more adaptable.

At any rate, anyone working on Calendar should be give as much moral support as possible. I fixed a few bugs after OF was finished, and was working on more fixes when I realized what a mess the package was in and gave up. Thanks for stepping up and working on it.