Forum OpenACS Development: Use of Naviserver

Collapse
Posted by Jon Griffin on
Vlad responded to my request for info from him about naviserver. He would very much like the boost that OACS would give the project.

I think it is worth a serious look.

Here is my question and his response:

Vlad,
There is once again discussion about dumping AOLServer and using
Naviserver. I know that Gustaf Nuemann had at one point ported OACS but
due to the rapidly changing code base quit trying to keep up. I don't
know the details though.

What are the plans with Naviserver now? Specifically, if OACS were
ported what may break in the future?

Of course you can bring this public on the OACS list if you would like.

=---------------
Sure, this can be in public forums,

We are changing a lot internally, but public Tcl API mostly stable, so
once ported it will work same way as Aolserver.

Almost everything is documented to some degree, commands and Tcl API, so
you are welcome to try and use, this will be huge boost for Naviserver

Collapse
2: Re: Use of Naviserver (response to 1)
Posted by Titi Ala'ilima on
If OpenACS moved to NaviServer, not only would it give the project a boost, it would also force some stability and improve the documentation, just by having a much larger community behind it.

I've witnessed the AOLserver thread with horror (at both sides, frankly) but it does seem like with the organizational support collapsing in AOL we might be better off putting our money on a horse with some momentum behind it.

Granted, this is assuming that the NS community would react well to the sudden influx (and certainly loud input) from the OpenACS community. Anyone (especially apart from the inherently biased project leaders) care to comment on how functional the NS development process is with respect to (mostly user) community input?

Collapse
3: Re: Use of Naviserver (response to 2)
Posted by Steve Manning on
Would the NaviServ core developers be open to the idea of an elected core team and governance along the lines of OCT (TIPs etc.) - perhaps with permanent seats for the original core developers?

- Steve
Collapse
4: Re: Use of Naviserver (response to 3)
Posted by Vlad Seryakov on
That should be discussed on naviserver mailing list, we've established pretty simple rules how development goes i the project, basic principle to be not to break things for others and discuss things that may have impact of the existing codebase. New features are welcome and as it turned out historically, first introduced later new features may be re-done by others to fit them more perfectly into the overall architecture.
Collapse
5: Re: Use of Naviserver (response to 4)
Posted by Don Baccus on
basic principle to be not to break things for others and discuss things that may have impact of the existing codebase
Well, most of the "strong opinions" from this community have been expressed when those principles have been ignored. So don't be scared of us :)