Forum OpenACS Q&A: Re: Project-manager integration with logger

Collapse
Posted by Lars Pind on
Jade,

Yes, integrating with your project-manager was the intent.

1) Logging for tasks: While not the intent of the current code, this is the right direction to move it in.

2) This is the right thing to do, but we're not going to have time until October when Heidelberg has launched :(

3) Add those minimum and maximum estimates? Or what would a PART chart look like if all the min and max estimates were the same? So long as we don't require of all users all the time that they have to explicitly enter min and max estimates, fine with me.

4) Yes, I was thinking about that ... a circular dependency. Bad.

One way to resolve it would be to split the PM package at some level. Maybe PM is a data model and API package, on which logger can depend, and then there's a second package for PM-user-interface? We'll have to think about this a bit more.

/Lars

Collapse
Posted by Malte Sussdorff on
Quick questions:

1) Wouldn't it make sense to link logger with bug-tracker as well. More to the point, is the project manager going to have it's own way to store tasks or will it reuse bug-tracker ?

2) Dependency. Is there any reason why logger has to rely on the PM? Why not leave logger as it is at the moment, but add code that allows it to check (mounted) PM instances as well?

If there are circular dependencies, I'd favour to integrate both packages. Because, there is no need to keep them seperate (if you have to install both anyway). And the fact that Collaboraid has written logger while Jade is writing the PM does not count as a reason :).

Collapse
Posted by Lars Pind on
Good point on both counts, Malte.

Re the circular dependency, I think integrating the two packages would probably be just fine, as long as the UI doesn't get too complex, i.e., if you don't care about tracking against tasks, we shouldn't force you to (even though there may be a dummy task in the DB).

/Lars