Forum OpenACS Improvement Proposals (TIPs): TIP #113: KeepLocalTranslations (approved)

ACS Head has code now which allows us to keep locally made changes using a parameter "KeepLocalTranslations" which when enabled, will keep the local translations even if the merge procedure is of the opinion to delete them or update them. Adding will always work.

The code changes are now in HEAD so you can review them. If the TIP is disapproved then we can roll them back.

http://xarg.net/tools/cvs/change-set-details?key=28218 has a list of all the changes made.

Included in this is a change which does not allow us to register message keys for non existent packages.

Last but not least we disallow unregistering a message key unless we are in the default locale, where we will be asked if we want to delete it from all other locales as well.

Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
These sound good to me (approve).

The second is a bug fix, so no problem with it, of course.

The third sounds like a good safeguard.

The first sounds good. Does it give any notice of which translations are being ignored by the merge, though? If not, that would seem like a nice enhancement.

Thanks to Quest for these changes ...

Collapse
Posted by Dave Bauer on
I approve.

I believe Malte said in email they ignored ones are marked as conflicts, so the admin can decide which version to keep.

Collapse
Posted by Malte Sussdorff on
I have to tread back on this. They are marked as conflicts, BUT they are not registered as such, because no_update does not trigger an insert into the database.

Options are to change the status of the message_key to "kept_local" with all the DB changes this entails, or to convince the system out of the normal procedures to do so, to record a conflict.

I will look if I can manage to achieve recording of a conflict in the database that triggers the showing of the conflict screen without the need to change the data model.

Collapse
Posted by Dave Bauer on
Ok, so I don't know what marked as conflicts means.

I am not sure its necessary, we can do that as an enhancement later. If you set "keeplocaltranslations" it already means you want to keep locally entered keys.

Collapse
Posted by Emmanuelle Raffenne on
I approve. KeepLocalTranslations is definitely necessary, IMO.
Collapse
Posted by Rocael Hernández Rizzardini on
Approved, good addition!