Forum OpenACS Q&A: Re: RFC: How to internationalize content

Collapse
Posted by Dave Bauer on
Anyone still interested in i18n of content?

I know xowiki has a technique of addng the language code to the name/url of the item which is cool for a wiki, but does seem to make it hard to query for the same content in another language.

I am just posting because someone mentioned content in multiple languages earlier ( i could not find the thread, but I see I posted about LinguaPlone before). I just wanted to remind folks to look at LiguaPlone for inspiration. It appears to be a good system for content in multiple languages.

Collapse
Posted by Malte Sussdorff on
We are still interested, but I think the XoWIKI method of doing this is actually quite fine. Name the item like "en:project_1234" and "de:projec_12123" and rewrite your application to take that naming convention into consideration. We might actually change content::item::new to take this into account automatically, so name the items with the locale of the user or the default locale and use the same method XoWIKI is using to figure this out.

But probably Gustaf could enlighten us more if it would be something generally useful for content items and then we could discuss this in a TIP.

Sadly, one problem I see is that nearly all packages work by item_id and not be item name. Therefore we would have to check on each call to get the contents of a revision or an item if the item exists in the users language. And how would we then deal with the scenario that the user explicitly wants to have the English version and not the German one?

I guess for the time being I just rewrite the applications in XoWIKI if I need this to work (e.g. lars blogger).