Forum OpenACS Improvement Proposals (TIPs): Re: Default CSS for OpenACS 5.0

Collapse
Posted by Jun Yamog on
Hi Don,

I am trying to learn lately pure CSS, tabless layout.  Although I don't suggest we do that on the toolkit.  Doing CSS makes things cleaner.  I would suggest that you look at how http://style.tigris.org did it.  The style project covers NS4 compatibility.  That means they use some table (not too much) use for layout.

Based from my newbie experience of using pure CSS.  What I can say is that:

- Includes and master are better and cleaner.
- I tried experimenting in making a pure CSS form template.  You will be surprised how clean the code gets.  A lot of "if" tags are removed.  It basically becomes a loop of elements only.  I will show the pure CSS layout on the 2nd bcms ui I am making.
- A lot of unlearning needs to be done, for those used to use tables for layout.

Anyway I think we are still far off from pure CSS layout.  But I would suggest a CSS heavy driven toolkit, that just degrades gracefully on older browser.  This will make:

- the adp/html code cleaner
- easier to customize on new browsers

We should aim only graceful degradation not full compatibility for older browsers.  Because if the developer needs full compatibility, its easier to start from a clean adp/html code rather than removing cruff around.