Forum OpenACS Development: Re: ad_parameter deprecated in favor of parameter::get?

Collapse
Posted by Randy Ferrer on

IMHO the question of style is as varied as there are developers and shops. I have seen shops that operate with absolutely no standards for coding style (disastrous for the most part) and have been privy to those who adhere and impose a coding style. The benefits of latter are obvious. The point here is that once the oacs governance is formed and oacs is officially a group, it would be a good idea for said governance to officially bless a set of style guidelines for oacs. Any packages that are part of the official distribution should follow those guidelines if the package is to be accepted in the community.

This would go a long way towards shortening learning curves as well as making code clearer for the newcomer and everyone else. OACS is not too bad in this respect - so it should not be difficult to arrive at guidelines that most community members can live with. My main point is that without a gatekeeper for this, I think it will be next to impossible to maintain a consistent coding style for OACS. Just my 2 pennies....