Forum OpenACS Development: Re: Permission system in needs of revisit?

Collapse
Posted by Malte Sussdorff on
One last thing: Permission caching.

My experience is that it vastly improves performance. I am aware of the consequences if you are not using the TCL API to insert/delete/change permission records and I make sure that this condition is met (talking of which, how could we do an automated test that checks if people are using custom DB calls to change permissions?)

My question though: It uses util_memoize. If I understood Don, he would like to get away with util_memoize in general and use ns_cache directly. Not entirely sure how / why, but for permission caching I was wondering if we should have a separate cache? Is there any downside I am not aware of?

The one I can think of is the fact that I need to (re-)write cluster wide permission flushing for permissions. Anything else ?

Collapse
Heh, revisiting the ns_cache statistics before posting helps. One of the large benefits of not using util_memoize for permissions is that util_memoize will not run out of entries. This being said I dug a little bit deeper into permission::permission_p and got confused:

a) We could probably change the util_memoize usage to a db_cache_pool caching, though we would probably run into the same issue as with util_memoize.

b) Looking at permission::permission_p_not_cached I see this:

# We have a thread-local cache here
    global permission__permission_p__cache
    if { ![info exists permission__permission_p__cache($party_id,$object_id,$privilege)] } {
        set permission__permission_p__cache($party_id,$object_id,$privilege) [db_0or1row select_permission_p {}]
    }
    return $permission__permission_p__cache($party_id,$object_id,$privilege)

How much sense does the thread level cache make if we have caching using util_memoize or a different caching mechanism?  I can only think that this acts as a protection against permissions changes during execution of the script, which i guess is unwanted. But if that is the case, shouldn't this script level caching happen in permission::permission_p and before the util_memoize / permission_cache_pool caching?

Additionally, reading up on https://openacs.org/doc/current/programming-with-aolserver.html, shouldn't this better be called "script-local" cache as the array is destroyed once the script has run through (or am I missing something here)?

Collapse
Posted by Gustaf Neumann on
The array permission__permission_p__cache just prevents that - during a single request - the same permission is only looked-up once from the database. This double-lookup-prevention happens no matter what other caching options are used. I think, this is a sensible behavior. Yes, the array is deleted in the thread after the request.

There is a small bug in permission::permission_p_not_cached: the unused non-positiional argument "-no_cache" should be most probably removed.

Collapse
Yes, this lookup prevention is great, which is why I would put it outside the "not_cached" version and put it into permission::permission_p, because otherwise we hit the util_memoize cache more often than we need to. And my assumption is that the util_memoize lookup is slower than going for the array.

In my understanding the first thing permission::permission_p should do is to look up the array and if it finds an entry return that value, skipping all other checks and procedure calls. Does this make sense ?