Forum OpenACS Development: Re: User Smart Search Widget with Ajax

Posted by Eduardo Santos on
In the results box, everytime I have a Latin character, such as á or ç I see this in the result: �

Do you have any ideas on how to fix it?

Posted by Ryan Gallimore on
It seems to me that you need to quote the string returned by search-users.tcl. But it might be more complicated than that.

My understanding of character encoding is a bit hazy, but this (old) thread might help:

Good luck


Posted by Eduardo Santos on
Thank you very much for you help again, Ryan. Afther a long research, I found the answer in the link that you gave me. I've changed the following line in the search-users.tcl file:

ns_write [encoding convertto utf-8 $response]

I'm forcing the encoding to be utf-8. It seems to me like ns_write is ignoring the server's encoding (possibly an AOLServer bug). In your standard exit:

ns_write $response

the HTML response to the browser gets the wrong encoding, but the ns_log command, for example, has the right server encoding. It's an workaround but it's working.