Forum OpenACS Q&A: Re: Any comment from the community?

Collapse
Posted by Kenneth Wyrick on
Well, I just read what you wrote and I know that the dotlrn package is dominating most of the openacs development. That's good for me since e-learning is my field of interest.

I've also had to weather much of the LAMP criticism I hosted the http://lampsig.org in my office for over 2 years and finally kinda gave up because it was turning out to be a widget fest where most of the people didn't have a interest in enterprise level development.

I will remember what you have suggested and check it out in the various circles that I run in. I'm very curious to know what's doing with naviserver since I worked with them before AOL purchased the browser and as far as I can tell, did nothing with the publishing parts which were quite useful to me. I would like to see oacs do a good job of pre-press since the market is wide open with quark, InDesign and Scribus being the consumer apps that most people use.

I did see where the was some talk about using the TEX engine, which would work very well for me since I have a good friend who is a tex expert but It seems to have died some few years ago.

Collapse
3: LaTeX? (response to 2)
Posted by Andrew Piskorski on
Kenneth, what died exactly, you mean the June 2004 and March 2006 experiment with and talk about adding LaTex support to OpenACS? (Because I suspect that TeX itself, and its derivatives, will outlive most of us...) How would you want to use such LaTex support, if it existed in OpenACS?

Some of the discussion from the periodic rehashing on documentation formats, e.g. from Oct. 2005, might also be somewhat relevant, as they tend to also bring up LaTex and related or competing tools.