Forum OpenACS Development: Re: Ideas for easier installation of OpenACS

Collapse
Posted by Dave Bauer on
Tom,

Can you explain the benefits to this setup as opposed to running seperate NSDs for each web site you wish to serve?

Right now, my clients each have a seperate virtual machine which contains the install environment. This suits clients who have seperate customizations and versions of supporting code that are not necessarily in sync.

Collapse
Posted by Tom Jackson on
I seem to always get off on a tangent and forget to talk about the main point: easier installation of modules (at least the configuration part). There are some additional complexities associated with using nsd virtual servers, but the general idea is the same for a single server installation. In fact, you might benefit more, because you have to do complete installs for each customer. The last openacs I installed this weekend took no more than 10 minutes to copy and edit a few files, create a new database and restart the nsd to pick up the new server.

If everything is in one file this process would become more error prone, especially for the new user.

What is intended is an installation process which is used by novice and expert because it is easier and faster for both.

I think I need to write a little bit of code to explore and explain the idea further. Of course none of this is intended to be a requirement, but more as an additional way to install modules so that configuration is included in the process.