Forum .LRN Q&A: Notifications packahe optimization

Hi friends, just a simple question (maybe someone has done it?). Is there any method available that optimizes the sending of notifications for groups with a large amount of members (near 4000)?

The first idea i was thougth is to avoid the database dependency (basically to eliminate the transactions) because i think is not a priority task and introduces payloads on the servers (while it is serving notifications one by one...). So the second idea is to use dynamic list of email members, then only one transaction is done and the email is sent to this list. Perhaps, the email servers with restictions on the number of recipients will have problems but it is easy to include a parameter in the notifications package in order to build n dinamic list (number of members / max number of recipients).

Any idea?

Cheers

Collapse
Posted by Malte Sussdorff on
I do this by adding users to a group for the notification (in my scenario I can reuse the group for other purposes as well, so it is fine) and then use acs-mail-lite (new version from HEAD) which allows you to pass in a "to_group_id". Then make it send immediately and the emails are being send out via SMTP where the mailserver takes the "hit" so to speak. And as they are all individual e-mails it still works.
Collapse
Posted by Claudio Pasolini on
I'd like to try the new acs-mail-lite from HEAD on oacs-5-3 and, if possible, even on oacs-5-2, but there is a dependency on acs-tcl 5.4.

Is it safe installing acs-tcl 5.4 on oacs-5-3?

TIA,
Claudio