Forum OpenACS Development: Re: Content Repository API

Collapse
3: Re: Content Repository API (response to 1)
Posted by Jun Yamog on
Hi Lars,

I guess that would be great.  Here is the current status of the API.  The single item manipulators:  create_X, set_X, delete_X, VERB_X are the ones that are more useful and more stable.  I am adding more comments and properly using @param, @returns, etc. rather than my own comments on ad_proc.

The list_Xs and tree_Xs api are the ones that are moving/unstable.  And frankly the lesson that I got it.  There is really no substitute for SQL.  So list_Xs and tree_Xs will move to a more fixed query and provide as a basis for programmers.  So list_Xs and tree_Xs seem to relegate to quick slap together with list builder to make a draft UI.  The final UI will need the developer to take the sample query and tweak it to his own needs.  Unless some guru programmer can make a persistence layer in tcl.  My initial goes with list_Xs and tree_Xs is to centralize the queries, so if I tweak it affects all code that uses it.  Right now I have accepted that the goal is just too much as of this time.

I will happy to help to move it to CR, the ones that I know are stable.  In particular the folder procs are stable, and I just finished a run through on the docs of it.  I have also added categories support using cr_keywords as of this time.  But goal for this it to look at Timo's code.  And have a switchroo when Timo's code is a go.  But I haven't taken a proper look at Timo's code.  What I have done so far is not to use keyword term but category term.

Another option is not to roll it into core yet.  Since this is pretty much new I would not like to roll it into core and then later on think that its not good.  We can create a package and take a namespace of cr::  Then when we think things are good enough, we then roll it into core.

Hope this inputs give you more info, I am available for chat if needed.