Forum OpenACS Q&A: Package Installer using ACS ADMIN Version 5.3.2

The package install seems to gather package dependancies in package name sequence is there a reason for this. I assumed that the installer would use assigned sequence. I have a package that has 15 dependant/required packages and I want the installer to install each of the dependant/required packages in a specific sequence. How can I do this?
Collapse
Posted by Malte Sussdorff on
I have the slight feeling you cannot do this. The package installer tries to be smart about this and install the packages in the order necessary, resolving all dependencies first and then start with the package that has no dependencies and end with the package that depends on all.

Obviously it will fail if you have a circular dependency in there somewhere, so you would have to break that dependency in the code itself.

Collapse
Posted by Dave Bauer on
That seems like quite a few dependencies.

If you specify the dependecies correctly it should work.

ie:

Package 1 depends on acs-kernel
Package 2 depends on Package 1
Package 3 depends on Package 2
Package 15 depends on Package 14.

If you set it up this way, all package 15 depends on is package 14, and each package depends on the previous one being installed before it can be installed.

Will this work for you?

If not perhaps you can be a little more explicit in which packages you are using together. Are any of the 15 standard OpenACS packages?