Forum OpenACS Q&A: Re: Calendar API, using any sort of data

Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
It would be easy to fix the datamodel so that arbitrary objects can be mapped to a calendar, I've discussed this in the past.  The datamodel as it was originally written by aD and as it still exists today is, pure and simple, broken because it doesn't allow such mappings (what's the point of having a calendar object in a general object-oriented system if I can't map arbitrary objects to it?)

That covers all cases above except adding arbitrary HTML to the calendar.  I'd have to think about that.

Object mapping for the cases this covers would be a lot easier to work with than what you propose IMO (remember that content items are objects and that the content repository supports arbitrary mapping of templates to objects for display so we can get whatever HTML we want for objects into the calendar without kludging calendar to hell and back)

Whether or not we were to adopt a scheme such as you propose, the data model needs to be fixed and we need to support the mapping of arbitrary objects to calendars.  We need this for 5.1 IMO.

Collapse
Posted by Jade Rubick on
How easy to fix would it be?

I like the idea of doing less kludging around -- frankly, my above proposal seems messy to me. Dirk, perhaps you can pick Don's brain a little and find out what changes would be necessary to get the calendar to map arbitrary data.

In this posting, you recommended a service contract:

https://openacs.org/forums/message-view?message_id=68163

Is that what you're talking about?

I have tickets mapped to a calendar on ACS 3.4.10, and since I'm upgrading our installation to OpenACS 5, people are going to scream about this functionality disappearing. I won't be able to work on this until project-manager gets a little further along, however, which means I couldn't help out until January or February 2004.