Forum OpenACS Q&A: Understanding Data Model Ecommerce Module of ACS 3.4.10

I am recent computer engineer from pune university, india. I have got a job in company who develops ecommerce based web services using ACS 3.4.10 . I am appointed for post of junior programmer. I have solved three problem sets designed by Professor P. Greenspun . Now, I will be developing ecommerce based web services on ACS 3.4.10 .

I feel that data model of ecommerce module of ACS is difficult to grasp if freshers don't follow right algorithm to grasp it. When i was searching information about ecommerce module i came to know about this forum.I kindly request to all who are expert in ecommerce module, to suggest me rough algorithm to follow for understanding data model of ecommerce module of ACS.If you do not have much time to suggest me an algorithm then please,tell me what should be my approach for understanding data model of ecommerce module of ACS.

I also think that we should do something to prepare In depth Tutorial of data model of ecommerce module for developers.

Sunil,

could you be a bit more specific? What in the ecommerce data model do you not understand? Payments, products, categories, reviews, audits? The datamodel is large and it would help if you highlighted the areas of concern.

/Bart

Thank you so much for replying. I want to know about order processing in detail. I mean,
  • What all tables are involved in order processing?
  • When rows are inserted in those tables when customer confirms an order?
  • When rows are deleted?
  • How rows of these tables are audited?
Sunil,

Is your company aware of OpenACS? Have they consider using OpenACS's ecommerce package? It contains bug fixes and is a direct evolution of the ecommerce package from ACS 3.4.10, if I'm not incorrect.

There are sizeable issues involved in upgrading from ACS 3.4.10, but if you're installing new services, there might be some reason to use OpenACS, especially since you have other programmers who will be contributing to your code-base.

Just a thought.

Sunil,

take a look at https://openacs.org/doc/openacs-4-6-3/ecommerce/ for documentation of the OpenACS ecommerce package. As Jade pointed out is the ACS 3.x package ported and patched.

/Bart