Forum OpenACS Q&A: Re: OpenACS and Web Services

Collapse
Posted by Claudio Pasolini on
I created several web services using the excellent soap-gateway package made by William Byrne (thank you William! Why don't you upload your package in contrib?).

The soap-gateway package makes the creation and publishing of web services very easy. The package provides also a small number of examples and a way to invoke them via an AXIS client, but you'll have to write your own procs if you want to invoke a web service from Aolserver (I could provide a working example).

The soap-gateway package internally uses ns_xml, but I suggest, and in fact I did so, that you use tdom as the preferred xml parser in your tcl scripts.

The project I made is already viewable even if not yet released in production and will provide both informational and interactive services about fiscality to the citizens of Mantova.

It consists of two layers:

• the first talks to a remote PostgreSQL database and exposes his services via soap-gateway
  • the second manages the presentation and talks via XML/SOAP with the first layer (it uses tDOM as XML parser)
If you want to give it a try use demo@tin.it as user and demo as password. To get to the web services follow the link 'Imposta Comunale sugli Immobili'.