Forum OpenACS Improvement Proposals (TIPs): Re: Tip #21 (Proposed): Dropping support for PG 7.2 in OpenACS 5.0 release

Thus far we've always promised support for the last as well as current major PG version when possible.

While 7.2 doesn't support dropping of a column, it does allow renaming to something like "__deleted_1__" which is what I've done in dynamic code in ACS 3.x that expected to be able to drop a column (7.3 drops by doing the same internally and perhaps NULLing the data, too).

And PG 7.2->7.3 involves the 32 character name to 64 character name change problem, doesn't it?  Making upgrading painful?

If we do drop support and I'm remembering right we may want our documentation to suggest upgraders compile 7.3 with the old 32 character variable limit.

I'm not vetoing so by TIP rules I guess this is accepted but I'd like to see more comments by folks before we proceed.

I'll post a pointer to this in the regular openacs forum since this impacts our user developer community more than our core development community ...