Forum OpenACS Q&A: Re: can not install Postgresql 7.2.3/4 on SUSE 8.2

Collapse
Posted by Francis Brouns on
Hi,

thank you all for your quick responses.

The only reason we try to configure and make the PostgreSQL sources is because the OpenACS/dotLRN installation manual instructs to download the Postgresql 7.2.3 or 7.2.4 sources, make and install them.
Also the manual and the forums seem to suggest that Postgresql 7.3 is not supported for OpenACS 4.6.

Another reason is that we are complete newbies to Linux and installing applications under Linux.

We did try installing the Postgresql RPM that comes with Suse, but than stranded at the next step of the manual. Installing the RPM did not create the directories, the manual is talking about.

We would be happy to install the RPM as long as we know then how to proceed with the installation of OpenACS/dotLRN.

In the meantime, we installed Suse completely again. Ensured, we had installed the required applications, downloaded Postgresql 7.2.4 and followed the steps to configure and make the sources. The output in the console is similar to the lines mentioned in the manual, except that the make does reports errors.

I'll try to attach the outputs of the console for the configure and the make, and also the configure.log that is generated.

We searched the OpenACS and the Postgres forums on the errors we get, but did not come up with an answer.

Any pointers to get us started, are very welcome.

Thank you for your time and assistance,

Francis

Collapse
Posted by bill kellerman on
Suse has a system management tool called yast2 that might help you out some.  You can add/remove rpm software, and should be able to reinstall postgresql.

Different linux distributions can install files in wierd places.  I don't remember suse's defaults, but one way to find out is issueing a command to look for postgresql's text-based management interface:

find /* -name psql

Someone with more linux knowledge than me might be able to tell you if you can install an rpm to a specific location?  As Dirk said, check the irc channel, they are helpful.