Forum OpenACS Q&A: Speaking of bugs, how could I get one that has been fixed?

I'm running the dotlrn version that was available for download about two weeks ago, and now I find a bug in the calendar function which the OpenACS bug list tells me was fixed in March, as below:

Component    dotLRN Portlet
Type of bug    Bug
Summary    portal::evaluate_element callback error
Submitted by    Stan Kaufman (mailto:skaufman@epimetrics.com)
Status    Closed

I'm not sure how best to proceed.  The bug sheet does not indicate a patch.  Should I simply go ahead and find the calendar package by itself and install that?  Or should I do something smart like install cvs? Sorry if this question is too basic: it is just wonderful that OpenACS has been made easy enough so that newbies like me can get most of it up and running without too much trouble.  Thanks!

Bruce Spear

Bruce,
Dirk Gomez is continually fixing bugs in calendar. Your best option is probably to wait a couple of weeks for the release.
Bruce, you can always have a look at CVS through the CVS browser at http://cvs.openacs.org/cvs/openacs-4/packages/calendar/
The safest way to get a bug fix is to get the next official release after the fix. Ideally the bug will indicate which release that is. You can then upgrade to the next release following the < href="/doc/openacs-HEAD/upgrade-detail.html>Upgrade guide. This approach assumes that you either use CVS for local file control or don't use CVS.
The problem is that you don't know which files are affected if there is no patch file in the bugtracker. You could try to find the associated cvs commit using Jeff's cvs browser: http://xarg.net/tools/cvs/. If it's a simple fix then you might be able to get a diff from there and apply it to your OpenACS installation, but if it's more complex then it maybe depends on other upgrades, which might depend on even further changes etc. etc. so you'd be better off waiting for a new release.
All: Many thanks for the good advice! I think I'll be able to await the next releaseam fortunate to have time enough to await the next release.

All the best,
Bruce