- logout from the site
- browse to some page that requires a registered user by entering the url directly into the browser address field
- when presented with the login page, enter an unknown set of credentials
- the login form will be re-displayed with an error indication
- click the Register link and complete your registration
- upon registration completion, you should (old behavior) be redirected to the page that was initially requested (above).
This functionality is important because it allows an unregistered user to follow a link provided to him (say) in an email (invitation) message, register, and land on a page that requires that the requester be registered.
In fact, it would be much smoother if the requester did not have to click the Register link but was instead guided directly to the new registration page (as it has worked in previous releases). Anything to smooth the way for the unitiated is good IMO.
This message is also included as a comment to the bug I filed a few days back.