Forum OpenACS Development: Re: Storing images for reuse

Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
You don't need file storage to do this, but should be able to do it via the CR directly.  But why do you need to modify the file-storage (or CR) template files to do this?  For starters in general we don't want to build in such inter-package dependencies ("kludges") unless there's no other decent way to do it.

Maybe I'm not understanding fully what you're trying to do...

Collapse
Posted by Malte Sussdorff on
Here is what I'm trying to do:
  • Files can be uploaded to a certain place, which can be structured in a hierachical manner (/my-pictures/class1 and /my-pictures/class2).
  • Permissions can be given on the file (at the very least, read permissions on a group/public scope).
  • Using a browsing interface, you can access the hierachical structure mentioned above and select a file for linking/inclusion. Imagine this as a replacement for "upload file". You don't upload the file but you link it out of the CR
  • The package displays the linked file according to mime/type.
Here is why I though of File-Storage:
  • Files can be uploaded and given permission.
  • There exists a browsing interface for looking up the files in a hierarchical manner
  • Adding a "link me up" from the index page sounded like the easiest thing to do.
Here is why I did not want to use CR directly:
  • The upload and permission interface would have to be build
  • The browsing interface would have to be build
  • I'm too lazy to write up a whole media catalogue like it exists at GPI. Talking of which, maybe I could reuse it ?