Forum OpenACS Development: NYC area OpenACS developers?

Collapse
Posted by Matt Morgan on
Greetings,

At Brooklyn Museum we've worked (and are working) with some of you before. We have another project coming up that our programmer, Sean Redmond, won't have time to do by himself, and I wanted to open the offer up to everyone who's interested and available.

The project overall is to enable web-based access to data in our database of the museum's collection. The database is SQL Server 2000, and we envision writing some script that will export a relevant subset of the db to postgres on some schedule. Then OpenACS programming will take over, enabling web visitors, and visitors using web-based gallery kiosks, to search for objects and groups of objects using a variety of methods and search terms (these are established).

Basic workflow for editor approval is required; I can explain in full after we make contact. Also, not all the information that we need for web-based searching is present in the collections database, so some user-input related forms will be essential. Apart from that we're talking about pretty basic web searching, but with some specific complications that I can explain (for example: a tool that will equate "wood" with "poplar," "pine," and "oak," and maybe vice-versa, and needs to be user-editable).

At this point, I'm interested in people who can both visit the museum (in Brooklyn, NY) and work at home. I imagine you'd have to come in once or twice, but could otherwise do most of the work at home over our VPN.

Work will need to commence almost immediately and be complete by mid-December.

If you're interested, please contact me by email (it's on my user page, or decipher "matt dot morgan at brooklynmuseum dot org") with your qualifications and your best non-profit rate!

Thanks,

Matt Morgan
Manager of Information Systems
Brooklyn Museum of Art