Forum OpenACS Q&A: Safari and OpenACS ad_set_client_property

I had a bizarre experience this morning when trying to install packages. It did not work. So I went into the code to figure out that within a page ad_set_client_property and ad_get_client_property worked like expexted, but when ad_get_client_property was on a different page (e.g. install-3.tcl), then the result was empty.

Out of a hunch I changed my browser from Safari to Firefox and it worked. To be fair I have to say that the system is accessed using an SSH tunnel as the firewall on the remote server blocks access to the HTTP port for the moment.

This being said my question: Does installation work for any of you when you try to install new packages with Safari3?

Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
I would assume it's a cookie issue, i.e. the session cookie is being expired unexpectedly.
Collapse
Posted by russ m on
There has been some discussion on various apple fora about Safari 3.0.4 randomly dropping people's cookies, but I've not experienced this myself. then again I haven't yet gone up to 10.5, which seems to be part of the problem...

hmmm... this says the problem occurs when a server sends "a completely absurd cookie value" to the browser, which safari barfs on hard enough to lose all it's saved cookies... does the package installer set some particularly long or strange cookie?