Forum OpenACS Q&A: Response to couple of features I am working on (2.33 version)

Since my current priority has been to get my community website up and functional, its requirements are driving the need for new features.  (Also why I haven't gotten much done on 3 ).  In doing this, some limitations of the current framework become apparent (which is to be expected as it was largely driven by photo.net and then additions for customers).  I am not proposing throwing my code in to confuse matters but it helps illuminate some framework requirements.

(1) A community is made of of the larger community and then subgroups with specific interests which they may or may not want to share with the larger community.  The framework should support group membership and group privacy/security at all levels.

.. the 2.x version supports group membership at certain levels but not consistently

(2) information should be structured to support collaboration of different levels. This allows informatio to be shared among various sub groups as desired.  For, example, the current addressbook is a throwback to standalone apps.  ACS should support the capability to share your information with others at an individual level as well as a group level. There is some recognition of this in the contact manager module, however the it needs to be integrated into the overall framework

The key feature of ACS is its capabilty to support collaboration and we should revisit the modules to make sure they support this at an individual, group and community level.

I agree with Don that we need to start looking at the requirements now.. as that we can develop a consistent strategy for implementing features which support this.

Which leads me to YET ANOTHER MODULE..  it would be useful to have a module to track requirements to modules etc.. (this is starting to getto be big league methodology).  I haven't looked at the new Software Development Module and maybe we can do it through the bug tracker

Generally, in my experience doing large software development projects

feature request  -> requirements definition -> functional specification -> implementation/test etc

We have some of the pieces to support this, but not all

Of course, there is the problem of all the copius spare timewe have to work on this....  I agree the current focus should be to port and QA the 3.1 version. This is mostly thinking for next phases

BTW.. I am available for bug fixes and QA so feel free to assign bugs to me