Forum OpenACS Q&A: Re: RedHat and OpenACS - Wake Up Call

Posted by Lamar Owen on
To answer Al's first post's last question, no I'm not planning on migrating to RHEL.  No need; Fedora does everything the old RHL did.  Errata are available for a few months after release (for free via yum), and then you migrate to the next release.  In my case this is the same-old-same-old.

As to other points:

There are significant discounts for .edu-land sites going to RHEL.

There IS a migration path from previous RHL to RHEL.  I took the time to register to download their migration whitepaper (after all, I'm interested in RHEL professionally for PARI ( anyway, might as well), and found out the scoop in their White Papers.  Their registration process is annoying!  But I got the papers.  Pretty good stuff.  They explain why there's no direct upgrade, and how to migrate.

Was I astonished when the Red Hat Linux Project was first announced?  No, there were tremors three releases ago about this; anyone watching closely enough saw it coming.  The merger with the fedora 3rd party repository likewise was telegraphed at low baud.

I continue to run Red Hat and now Fedora in production. It's stable, it's well supported by a large community (see about joining the community).  Much the same as the support structure behind OpenACS/dotLRN itself, just larger.  Where do .LRN and OACS users go for 'errata?'

Now, as to upgrading.  A server has to be taken down to upgrade regardless.  I typically do a fresh install after a backup anyway.  I then recompile my third party stuff (AOLserver, etc) and restore the data.  I plan it and execute it.  I always had problems using the 'upgrade' option (being an RPM packager I understand the reasons, too).  So I don't even bother at this point.

Frankly, I am astonished at the Chicken Little tenor of this thread.  You guys are OpenACS developers; creme de la creme of the developer pool.  You guys should know better.