Forum OpenACS Q&A: Response to A Template-Based ACS

Collapse
Posted by Ben Adida on
If I seem hard-set on my principles here, it's because I am. Since 1995 I've heard many people tell me how much better their language would be at web scripting than Tcl. I've heard Scheme, Perl, C, Java, Javascript, and now Python as proposed web solutions.

I've always waited to see how these solutions turn out. I experimented with everything. I wrote NSAPI crud, I listened to MIT PostDoc Scheme lovers explain the beauty of the language to me (and I do love Scheme), I wrote some Netscape Server-Side Javascript, I wrote more Perl scripts than I wish to remember, and I implemented entire web sites in Java Servlets and JSP.

At the end of the day, I'm happy with a solution that is proven and works. Nothing comes close to AOLserver/Tcl because it was built by monster hackers like Jim Davidson who understood the issues of web programming years before everyone else.

Regardless, I think your exploring other avenues is a good thing. Try Python. Try other things. But give AOLserver/Tcl the chance and attention it deserves (e.g. just as much as you gave Python). I'm happy to check out anything you guys put together, and I will happily eat the web page I wrote this message on if I turn out to be wrong.