Forum OpenACS Development: Re: acs_object__new slowness...

Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
In case the rant above causes anyone to miss my first point ...

the SELECT FOR UPDATE is correct ... and I think will actually work in this case because I don't think it hits the locking problem I've been talking about.

So if you:

1. Add the appropriate SELECT FOR UPDATE
2. Add the tracking of the maximum child key to objects
3. Switch to using object_id for the first level sortkey for
all objects (including those with NULL context_id)

I think we're home.

Now the odd question - why are objects with context_id set to the security root considered to be at level 0 rather than level 1, because the security root object itself is at level 0 (and has a context_id set NULL).

Answer - I'm not sure.  Dan Wickstrom wrote the original version of the tree sortkey code after talking to me, including the triggers.  Later I wrote the code to use varbit rather than char as the datatype to store the sort keys, including the short key space saving hack, but I didn't change anything else.

Logically it would seem to me that the all objects with context_id set NULL - including the security root object - should be level 0, while all other objects - including those with security root object as their context_id - should have level > 0.

No?  Comments, Jeff?

I really want to get this right once and for all, which is why I'd earlier decided to forget about it until 5.0 was out.

Collapse
Posted by Jeff Davis on
Ok, select for update it is. I will do some concurrency testing as well and see if I can break it.

If by level 0 you mean null, then I think there is a good reason for things with context_id null to have a non-null tree sortkey.

Say you want all the parents of e given a heirarchy

Node   level0    level1
a      Null      1
  b    1         1.1
c      Null      2
  d    1         2.1
    e  1.1       2.1.1
if a and c are level 0 then as you walk up you have no way of picking out a or c as the parent of e, whereas in the case of all tree_sortkeys starting at level1 it's just the same as the other parents...

I also think given how many are null (~20% for realistic data sets -- a problem in itself really) the optimizer would have better statistics if there are no null tree_sortkeys. although I guess with postgres partial indexes can make that much less of a problem.