Forum OpenACS Q&A: ACS/pg

Collapse
Posted by Sam Jacobs on
Should ACS/pg work under Windows NT ? Thanks.
Collapse
2: Response to ACS/pg (response to 1)
Posted by Don Baccus on
If you can get AOLserver to work under NT, yes.  AOLserver V3 supposedly again supports NT, but I don't know anyone personally who's tried it.  You might go to aolserver.com, join the mailing list, and ask what's required to get it up and running, etc.

Postgres does work under NT, but again I don't know anyone personally who's done it.  I think the process is documented, though.  You need to start with their site, postgresql.org.

If those two pieces work, so should the ACS.  An interesting historical note - AOLserver traditionally used .ini files 'cause it started life as an NT server, back when folks were convinced it would be better than Unix, etc.

If you're interested in pursuing this and are able to get it up and running, we'd just LOVE to have you write up an "ACS/PG NT Installation Guide"!  Seriously!

Collapse
3: Response to ACS/pg (response to 1)
Posted by Gregory McMullan on
I bet that getting AOLServer working under NT wouldn't be all that hard, if you can get Cygwin installed. For those who don't know, Cygwin is a toolkit from Cygnus that allows you to build and run most if not all unix/linux tools under Windows. You get a nice set of unix tools, including gcc, and supposedly a comfortable unix command-line to go with it. For more, you can see http://www.redhat.com/about/cygnus_1999/cygwin101299.html