Forum OpenACS Q&A: Response to Future plan for ACS/Pg

Collapse
Posted by Roberto Mello on
This question has been discussed a lot lately...

Ben is probably the best to answer this but I'll give my thoughts anyway...

I am sure aD would like to move to an open source RDBMS, as pointed out by Brent in his e-mail conversation with Lars. The problem is that there's no open source RDBMS to compete fairly with Oracle yet. Hopefully someday PostgreSQL will get there (and I wish some companies would fund the development of PostgreSQL so we could move it faster).

The most annoying thing about PostgreSQL right now is OUTER JOINS. If we could get that, porting would be easier.

If we had more active developers in ACS/pg we could assign a module to each developer and let him take care of it when aD changed something. That would make the job more distributed and easier.

I think ACS/pg will go on and will be very nice. It will be more popular than ACS/Oracle because it won't have the big bucks constraint. That means that we'll have more new modules built for ACS/pg (I personally have three projects in my mind already, will work on them in the summer).

What the ACS/pg community of users must understand is that everyone needs to take care of it and help it.