Forum OpenACS Q&A: Groups as members of groups

Collapse
Posted by Tony Kirkham on
According to the design and requirements docs for the groups system one should be able to create membership relations between parties and groups (group a is a member of group c) and composition relations between groups and groups. However, the relationship type for membership_rel, as currently defined, is between person and group.

This prevents the call group::add_member from creating the relationship. In fact it, prevents both, membership and composition relationships between groups because the group::add_member attempts to create a membership_rel for all relationships regardless of type and then another relation of the desired type.

Are there any negative ramifications to simply changing the acs_rel_type membership_rel from being between person and group to party and group?

When I do this things work almost fine. The relationships get created but, in the case of composition, when I remove the relationship the membership_rel is removed while the composition_rel is not.

Is this just incomplete development or am I missing something?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
-Tony

Collapse
Posted by Dave Bauer on
I don't think you should have a composition_rel AND a membership_rel between groups, so to test your change you would have to change so that when you add a group as a member of another group it only creates the membership_rel.
One or the other should be fine. I think enabled groups as members was discussed on the forums before, I'll see if I can find it.

I am curious what you are trying to do that you can't do with composition_rel.

Collapse
Posted by Dave Bauer on
Collapse
Posted by Tony Kirkham on
Dave, thank you very much. I had searched for info on this topic without much success. The postings from Tom Jackson were quite helpful. They have given me a better idea about how the system may have been intended to be used and certainly how it can be used. The reason I want a membership relation between groups and groups as opposed to composition is so that members of a group do not show up as members of the supergroup.

I notice that Tom, in the example code, does not use the tcl api but, instead uses the more direct sql api. I am referring to the tcl calls group::add_member and group::remove_member. With an understanding of Tom's explanation of the system, I am still not sure the purpose of the group::add_member call. It is the one that, if the rel_type passed in is not "membership_rel" it creates a "membership_rel" anyway, in addition to a relation of the desired type:
ad_proc -public group::add_member
if { ![string equal $rel_type "membership_rel"] } {
# Add them with a membership_rel first
relation_add -member_state $member_state "membership_rel" $group_id $user_id
}

relation_add -member_state $member_state $rel_type $group_id $user_id

I now assume that this was intended to only be used for subtypes of the membership_rel but, I am still not sure why both relations would get created unless it is needed to make all subtypes of membership_rel show up in the membership_rel queries as well. Is that assumption true?

With that in mind, is it true that if I create my own rel_type I should not use the provided group::member_add call but write my own using the sql api for relationship creation and deletion, unless my rel_type is truly a subtype of the established membership_rel?

I also do not understand relational segments. Tom mentions them but I don't see anywhere in his code examples where a record would get created in the rel_segments table or where these relational segments might be used. Are they simply the members of a group with a particular rel_type or is there more to them being that there is a table defined to contain them. It looks like membership_rel and admin_rel are created by default as rel_segments but not composition_rel. Is there any info on the what and why of relational segments?

Collapse
Posted by Tom Jackson on
I also do not understand relational segments.

Here is a link to a test page in OpenACS which uses a rel_segment:

rel-segments-test.sql

A relational segment creates a subgroup where all members have the same rel_type to the original parent group.

Example from the above:

-- the segment of all parties that are blah members of G
 seg_G_blahs := rel_segment__new(null,
   ''rel_segment'',
   now(),
   null,
   null,
   null,
   null,                                  
   ''Blahs of Group G'',
   G, 
   ''blah_member_rel'',
   null
);
Collapse
Posted by Tom Jackson on

Here is a search on all of OpenACS code, many examples of creating specialized rel_segments:

Relational Segments Search

Note that this is a 5-10 second search due to the size of the source code

Collapse
Posted by Tom Jackson on

Uggg, the URL got mangled by the enhanced text.

Retry:

Relational Segments Search