Forum OpenACS Q&A: Response to Static module improvement

Collapse
Posted by Roberto Mello on

Maybe I didn't word it right (this is when you realize you are not a native english speaker 😊, but I have _not_ committed anything yet. It's just in my local machine. I wanted to know your opinions first.

I can submit this to aD and maybe it will make it into ACS 4. The funny thing is that there's a comment on ad-html.tcl:

# significantly enhanced in December 1999 to modularize the comment and link
# stuff so that .adp pages could use them as well (philg)

But there's nothing there to parse ADPs.

That said, I think this is useful. The extra fields like author and all are inserted if the right meta tags are found in the header. It's pretty cool stuff.

Can you explain this better ? You mean that the meta tags thing is already implemented or that you liked the idea ?

We should have adp tags that expand into meta tags for this to make things simpler. Good work. I know I sound schizo with the dual

What I was actually thinking (are you ready for more mods?) was to modify the ad_header proc to accept a second parameter as being the user_id of the author. That way it would work for both .tcl and .adp pages (though .tcl pages are usually not stuffed into the db). Do you think this is too weird ? ADP tags expanding into meta tags would serve just as fine.

opinion, but I'll restate: good work, just warn us before you do this so we can keep a handle on this stuff until ACS 4.0 and true modularity

That's what I was trying to do but I guess I didn't say it 😊 Sorry if I made you worry Ben 😊 One idea would be to have a openacs-improvements.tcl that would be put in the /tcl directory and would have these modifications. That way we wouldn't fork too much... the user would have the option to load it or not.

Oh, and please take a look at my other questions... I am not sure if this works in AS 3 yet.