Forum OpenACS Q&A: Response to OpenACS beta 3 / ACS Classic issues

Collapse
Posted by Roberto Mello on
Hi Don, nice to have you back 😊 When are you coming this way of the country ? Let me know.

About the Tcl 7.6 x 8.3 dillema, Jim Davidson posted a good response about this on the AOLserver community forums. I follow those foruns wia daily digest.  He points out advantages and disadvantages of both but gives no black and white answer. You should read it ('cause you'll understand it better than I since I am no C hacker yet 😊 and give us your feelings.

From what I understood, using the latest versions of Tcl will be better, but they (AOLserver crew and Scriptics) haven't adjusted it well enough to the point where it totally surpasses nsd 7.6. The choice basically remains to the user and his/her needs.

My home hard drive fried the other day after my fan broke in the middle of the night. Good thing I make nightly backups of important directories to an old 600 Mb drive I have laying around.

I had to reinstall my system from scratch and I went with Debian just to get familiar with it... I have to admit I am really surprised with how nice the whole system, administration and package management system work. It's just piece of cake to manage. Upgrading ? a glimpse.

This leads me to a question to Brent (or any other Debian user here): which package I need to compile AOLserver ? I seem to be missing something... libpthread ?