Forum OpenACS Q&A: Response to Article on ACS x Zope

Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
Well, actually the ACS is doing something similar with virtual URLs for groups, where part of the URL shows up as part of the set of values passed into the Tcl page.  It wouldn't be that difficult to extend the concept to something more general.

Have no fear, I'm familiar with OO and believe it to be a useful paradigm - though not a UNIVERSALLY useful paradigm as the most serious religionists try to argue.

I personally believe that for a large chunk of a web toolkit like the ACS, too much structure just gets in the way.  After all, a big chunk of the toolkit consists of glorified forms handlers and report generators.

The OO paradigm could be useful in the definition of how the core technology shared by modules, i.e. permissions and similar things, is used to build those modules.

But the toolkit's pretty simple, and a uniform and orthogonal API for modules based on any reasonable underlying paradigm  would be so much better than we have today that it doesn't really matter if an OO approach is used.