Forum OpenACS Q&A: Boston Bug Bashing Blowout Organization Thread

Dates Jan 23 to 25.

Al has agreed to host us at MIT with space and connectivity and probably some food/beer :).

If you going to Linux world there is a $10 bus from NYC to Boston.

I can provide some crash space. Can anyone else in the Boston area help put people up?

Make a note here if you are coming and what you think we should work on.  We will probably not set an agenda till closer to the date.

One idea is if we have some instructional design type people to help out might be to set up a dotLRN demo with OCW material.

Collapse
Posted by Tracy Adams on
I have a coach in Central Square.
Collapse
Posted by John Sequeira on
I would be interested in attending.
Collapse
Posted by Andrew Piskorski on
Malte posted similar info on the same event.
Collapse
Posted by Andrew Piskorski on
And I may be able to bring my Kinesis keyboard over and help code.
Collapse
Posted by Michael Steigman on
I'm planning on attending. I can also offer a couch here in Central Square.
Collapse
Posted by Dave Bauer on
I'll be there.
Collapse
Posted by Caroline Meeks on
Hi All,

The date approaches!  Who is coming? When are you arriving? What do you want to work on?

Collapse
Posted by Joel Aufrecht on
Some suggestions for what to work on:
Collapse
Posted by Dave Bauer on
I posted the steps that I have tested on the path to upgrading OpenACS.org plus some ideas to what still needs to be worked out. https://openacs.org/projects/openacs/5.0/upgrade-openacs-org

We have a seperate server where I have been testing the work. The code in is the openacs-org brnach of the openacs-4 repository.

Collapse
Posted by John Sequeira on
Caroline,

I was thinking that having so many openacs brains in one place might be a good opportuntity for me to refresh Oasis - my openacs vmware image - to also support version 5.0.  I've gotten enough feedback from grateful (mostly Windows) users to think that it's a worthwhile investment in time for me,  and I think that it would also be a good way to start the day in case other folks didn't have a working instance to develop against i.e. if folks needed to, they could ssh into a vm on my laptop.

Also,  I volunteered to provide some basic automated tests for OpenACS packages,  but for various reasons couldn't get them debugged properly against a working 5.0 instance (I kept hitting installer bugs for the base and/or the packages I was testing, etc).

Perhaps given the short period of time we could combine working on the worker-bee bugs and writing covering tests for them?

I think we would have enough hands available to do this and help Dave with the openacs.org upgrade.

Collapse
Posted by Malte Sussdorff on
I would like to get OpenACS.org to 5.0 and get to know the templating system better and improve the major location problem we do have with it (having templates in four locations at the moment). Last but not least, think how we may improve it while talking to others.
Collapse
Posted by Janine Ohmer on
So, since it is at the end of this week, do we have times and a specific location?  I can come on Friday, and Mike will probably come with me.  Not sure about the weekend yet;  we had pre-existing plans that I haven't managed to reschedule yet.
Collapse
Posted by Caroline Meeks on
Last chance to RSVP for the bug bash! It will be on Saturday at my house.

Please email me for directions.