Forum .LRN Q&A: dotlrn admin portlet reviewed

Collapse
Posted by Michael Cordova on
I have reordered the dotlrn admin portlet, grouping similar actions, and making a second level. If you are interested in that changes, how can I contribute my code?

The portlet now looks like:
<h1>Group Administration</h1>

• <u>Edit Group Properties</u> - Change name, description, etc.
    • <u>Manage Applets</u>
    • <u>Customize Portal Layout</u>
    • <u>Change Name of Portlet</u>
  • <u>Manage Membership</u> - Add/Remove -grupname- members
    • <u>Create Welcome Message</u>
    • Change Bulk Mail Policy -<u>All members</u> | Only admins can send bulk mail to this
      community.
    • Change Enrollment Policy - Open |<u>Closed</u> |&nbsp;<u>Needs Approval</u>
    • <u>Create a new Limited Access Guest user</u>
      - Only use this to create accounts for non-affiliated users who do not already have an account.
      Information about other members of this community will not be available to this user.
  • Subgroups
    • <u>Subgrup sample</u> [<u>Administer</u> | <u>Archive</u> ]
    • <u>New Subgroup</u>

Collapse
Posted by Emmanuelle Raffenne on
Hi Miguel Angel,

The group admin options look better organized this way. Did you remove the site-admin options from there also? Note that in my opinion it wouldn't be a bad thing.

Collapse
No I didn't remove the site-admin options. I just copied the html from a non swa user.

I'd like to see any swa action a bit different from non-swa ones. Maybe a different color.

Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
If you change the appearance for swa actions, please do so with some site-wide css (in fact, with some discussion we might adopt something like this for the base openacs sitewide CSS, define the classes even if we don't actually change the appearance by default, to make it easier for people to do so if they want)
Collapse
Yes, that's the idea. Maybe, as simple as adding 2 new css classes to be attached to every admin link: acs-admin, lrn-admin (depending on what kind of link it was...)

The best site-wide css can be acs-subsite/www/resources/default-master.css

I have to try some options, and check if it works right.

Collapse
I have moved "Manage Applets" outside of "Edit Group Properties" list, and attached the Active Applets list from applets-chunk.tcl . Every active applet, will have a link to its admin own page. Let me explain:

Last tuesday, just a few minutes before meeting, it was talked on irc about splitting the current one-community-admin page into individual pages, one page per admin portlet. Default page would be dotlrn-admin-portlet. And I add another point, maybe, it would be convenient to have a "show all together" option for legacy issues, in order not to disturb some users...
I have post a proposal here: https://openacs.org/forums/message-view?message_id=1505235

Anyway, I propose this new look for dotlrn-admin-portlet:

<h1>Group Administration</h1>

• <u>Edit Group Properties</u> - Change name, description, etc.
    • <u>Customize Portal Layout</u>
    • <u>Change Name of Portlet</u>
  • <u>Manage Membership</u> - Add/Remove SISTEMAS DISTRIBUIDOS con espacios members
    • <u>Create Welcome Message</u>
    • Change Bulk Mail Policy -
      <u>All members</u>
      | Only adminscan send bulk mail to this community.
    • Change Enrollment Policy -
      Open
      | <u>Closed</u>
      |&nbsp;<u>Needs Approval</u>
    • <u>Create a new Limited Access Guest user</u>
  • Subgroups
    • <u>Subgroup sample</u>
      [<u>Administer</u>|
      <u>Archive</u>]
    • <u>Subgrupo de sistemas </u>[<u>Administer</u>|<u>Archive</u>]
    • <u>New Subgroup</u>

• <u>Manage Applets</u>
    • <u>Applets del núcleo de dotLRN</u>
    • <u>Assessment Applet</u>
    • <u>Bulk Mail</u>
    • <u>Calendar</u>
    • <u>Datos estáticos (HTML)</u>
    • <u>Encuesta</u>
    • <u>FAQ</u>
    • <u>File-Storage</u>
    • <u>Forums</u>
    • <u>Forums</u>
    • <u>New Stuff Bboard</u>
    • <u>Noticias</u>
    • <u>Syllabus</u>
    • <u>XoWiki</u>
    • <u>Add Applets</u>
  • <u>.LRN Site Wide Administration</u>
    • <u>Administrator FAQ</u>
    • <u>Copy this group</u>
    • <u>Archive this group</u>
    • Guest users can view group membership information? -
      <u>Yes</u>&nbsp;|&nbsp;No
Collapse
Now I have a cvs account, I'd like to add this feature to next .LRN release, if you agree, of course.

Just need some help, due to it's my first commit to oacs cvs. What checkout should I do? I think I should checkout the actual release, if I'm not wrong oacs-5-4

is that correct?

cvs -d :ext:mailto:myuserhere@cvs.openacs.org/cvsroot co -r oacs-5-4 dotlrn

BTW, That's only "new feature" or better said, a "cosmetic" improvement. But I have also other UI improvements, like:
* set focus on some forms with only one input text field.
* And I've also found bad html syntax on dotlrn-toolbar (bug 3144).

Is that cvs checkout the correct one for all these changes I want to do?. Am I right?

Thanks in advance.

Collapse
Posted by Raúl Morales Hidalgo on
the first changes should be on HEAD and not on the release branch, so you should check out head.

if agreed (with the leadership team or OCT) to be in the next release, then it should go to the branch. I would place the other 2 changes there but wait until someone else confirms it.

And AFAIK there isn't a dotlrn alias or module so you should check out dotlrn-all to have the dotlrn package, either this or the whole repository :)