Forum .LRN Q&A: Calendar Permissions

Collapse
Posted by Samer Abukhait on
Why members of a community are not allowed to add events to the calendar and no available capability for the administrator to give them permissions to do so?
Collapse
2: Re: Calendar Permissions (response to 1)
Posted by Carl Robert Blesius on
Very good question Samer. I would dare to say it is because nobody has asked in the open yet. Thanks for bringing it up (we have talked about this a couple of times in Heidelberg behind closed doors).

Clearly a community toolkit should have a calendar that can be administered by the community (if the admin wants them to be able to).

On a side note... according to a professor I met recently this is a function that Blackboard used to have in an earlier version that professors really liked and has since been changed (maybe due to an architecture overhaul?).

Collapse
3: Re: Calendar Permissions (response to 1)
Posted by Caroline Meeks on
For a bit of history...In ACES you could accomplish this as follows.

Create a subgroup and make the people you want to add calendar items admin of that subgroup.

Then, in ACES, the subgroups calendar items appeared on the group's calendar. This functionality was lost in the port.

I'm not suggesting we replicate this rather convoluted approach.  I think we ought to build a more straight forward way of changing the permissions on calendar on a community by community basis. I don't think it would be that hard technically and may even be in OACS calendar UI currently.

I also think that we should consider reimplementing having a subgroup's items appear on a group's portlet. This is probably harder.

.LRN is putting together a User Advisory Board to assemble and prioritize feature lists. You should get this issue onto thier radar.

Collapse
4: Re: Calendar Permissions (response to 2)
Posted by Dirk Gomez on
Why? Because calendar is very hackerish.

In fact calendar 4-6 implements a "trust-your-user-to-not-change-the-url" form of security - hence it doesn:t really matter what you do on your permissons page.

Thanks to Lars calendar is now using permissions properly. Have a look at this commit http://cvs.openacs.org/cvs/dotlrn-calendar/tcl/dotlrn-calendar-procs.tcl?view=auto&rev=1.71&root=dotlrn

And for inspiration please look at this thread https://openacs.org/forums/forum-view?forum_id=14014

This could be solved properly via a site-wide parameter (Create_Calendar_With_Broken_Security_Inheritance_p) and a toggle to switch that. Sounds good?

Collapse
5: Re: Calendar Permissions (response to 1)
Posted by Don Baccus on
This could be very easily implemented properly by a "let group members post calendar items" toggle in the calendar admin portlet on the group control panel which adds or removes the proper permission ...
Collapse
6: Re: Calendar Permissions (response to 1)
Posted by Deirdre Kane on
It is also still the case, at least on the current test server installation (oracle) that a student can post to the group calendar.  now, you could call this bug, or just say that the feature you want now exists!

to see this in action, go to any class on the test server and click on the red plus icon in any view, even the calendar portlet on the class home page.  you'll get the add an item page, with the option to "share" the event with your personal calendar or the class calendar.  voila!

at one point, there was a bug ticket for this, but i couldn't find it in the tracker this am.

Collapse
7: Re: Calendar Permissions (response to 1)
Posted by Dirk Gomez on
It was bug 1226 - thought I had fixed that and it seems to have worked fine. Let me investigate.