question on <www.aolserver.com> but haven't recieved a reply (it's been
over a month!) Can anyone tell me if this is true? If it is, what are
my options (given that I am a complete Linux newbie I doubt that I will
be able to help in porting AOL Server for quite some time). Thanks in
advance

Steven Baker

Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
The key is both AOLserver and Postgres.  Posting to the AOLserver folks was a good idea.  They also enumerate the platforms the support when you go off to download.  Postgres folk are also good at enumerating supported systems.

If Yellow Dog supports a full gcc library and compiler without funky limitations you can probably get the sources to run for both of the above.  The compilers and libraries are really the key (assuming Yellow Dog Linux is really Linux).  Both of these are easy to compile and to link into executable form, both are free ... try it!

That's the bad news, which isn't really so bad on the surface (though there may be a show-stopper buried within Yellow Dog Linux).  The good news is that you can build a headless (no monitor, other than using an existing one to install Linux) x86 Unix box for a few hundred bucks.

If you go for it and get everything up on Yellow Dog/Mac write up your  experience and whatever voodoo you needed to mumble to get it to work, and it will very likely end up in the documentation for OpenACS...

Collapse
Posted by Lamar Owen on
PostgreSQL RPMs built on YellowDog are available on ftp.postgresql.org, /pub/binary/v7.0.2/RPM/RPMS/PPC
<p>
--<br>
Lamar Owen<br>
WGCR Internet Radio<br>
1 Peter 4:11<br>