Forum OpenACS Q&A: Calendar forking?

Collapse
Posted by Ryan Gallimore on
I want to make some changes/enhancements to the calendar package in HEAD (2.1.0b8) so I can use it as a booking application with some intelligent booking features.

Should I fork the calendar package and develop my own version?
In this case would I create a new package and rename the namespaces and all sql definitions?

Or should I add the new features and enable them via a configurable parameter, and commit my changes to calendar in CVS?

What is best practice when modifying existing packages? When do I fork and when should I upgrade calendar?

Collapse
2: Re: Calendar forking? (response to 1)
Posted by Dave Bauer on
I recommend ignoring the calendar datamodel, use the acs-events service if it does what you need, but I just recommend using a simler data model specific to your application.

Then I recommend using the ADPs from calendar to display the data in a calendar format. If you generate a multirow with the right data it should work.

Alternatively you can fork temporarily, and when the new package object types work is done this summer, you could subtype the calendar package.

https://openacs.org/forums/message-view?message_id=1482643

Collapse
3: Re: Calendar forking? (response to 1)
Posted by Carl Robert Blesius on
Avni Khatri wrote a room booking package for UCLA. I think it uses calendar and workflow. I remember it being pretty slick. It wasn't that long ago. You should ask her about it.