Forum OpenACS Q&A: List builder is a mean lean html-quoting monster

Hi Folks,

I'm playing with List Builder, and mostly loving it.

HOWEVER, I have some html code that I'm pulling out of a select that includes a <br>.  LB apparently does some quoting somewhere (still peering at its innards) so that instead of getting a <br> (yes, I want a new line in the middle of a LB element), I'm getting an &ltbr&gt.  Is there a way to disuade LB from this (probably usually useful) behavior?

I had a look at Jade's docs and the api-doc, but haven't turned anything up yet.

Thanks!

Collapse
Posted by Vinod Kurup on
I haven't used the list-builder, but you might try looking for any calls to ad_quote_html in the list-builder procs (which are in acs-templating/tcl/list-procs.tcl.
Collapse
Posted by Dirk Gomez on
Yes, html is now quoted by default. Two solutions:

Add a noquote tag to the variable in question which explicitly turns off quoting for this variable.

Print out the br tag on the adp page. (Preferred solution)

Collapse
Posted by Andrei Popov on
<blockquote> Print out the br tag on the adp page. (Preferred solution)
</blockquote>

Works well only as long as this is not a user comment, isn't it?  Yet if it is -- noquote tag should not be a problem...

Collapse
Posted by Lars Pind on
Cathy,

Use display_template like this:

template::list::create \
    -name foo \
    -multirow foo \
    -elements {
        html_elm {
            display_template mailto:{@foo.html_elm;noquote@}
        }
    }

That way, the value of the 'html_elm' column will not be quoted.

/Lars

Collapse
Posted by Mark Aufflick on
An important extenstion to Lars' display_template example:

If you have used the display_eval parameter in your element and then try the display_template above you will be surprised to find the original value presented.

That's because the display_eval param doesn't modify the column value, it makes a new column. Extending the above example:

-elements {
  success_bool {
    display_eval {[ad_decode $success_bool t Success "<em>FAIL</em>"]}
    display_template mailto:{@foo.success_bool___display;noquote@}
  }
}

Note that the separator is THREE underscore characters. In a similar way if you have constructed an url with the link_url_eval param, you can access that via col_name___link_url

If you want some insight into the upvar magic of Lars and the completeness of listbuilder functionality - take a look at the source for template::list::prepare_for_rendering !

Collapse
Posted by Lars Pind on
In this case, I'd recommend moving the 'eval' chunk into your db_multirow statement to add it as a column in the multirow, and avoid using the display_eval here. Makes things a bit cleaner.

/Lars

Collapse
Posted by Mark Aufflick on
yes i was doing that originally.

it's debateable which is less clean: setting html code in a database result set versus exploiting the innards of listbuilder

i suspect your way will confuse less people - also saves a hairy uplevel i cooked up to access vars from the page...