Forum OpenACS Q&A: Re: error while installing developer support service

Collapse
Posted by Derick Leony on
Yeah, the "restart server" just stops it and expects that you have set up a daemon so it'd start AOLserver after it goes down.

To start the service, you can do this:
/usr/lib/aolserver4/bin/nsd -u www-data -g www-data -t /var/www/openacs/etc/config.tcl

Change it to match your AOLserver bin path, user, group and OpenACS root path.

If you want to check the daemon details, you can find the explanation at https://openacs.org/doc/current/install-openacs-keepalive.html

Collapse
Posted by Matthew Smith on
I tried doing as you suggested with what I think are the proper directories:

/var/lib/aolserver/dodss-cleat/bin/nsd -u smith -g web -t /var/lib/aolserver/dodss-cleat/etc/config.tcl

But got:
-bash: /var/lib/aolserver/dodss-cleat/bin/nsd: No such file or directory

There are multiple instances of open acs on the server, would that make a difference?

Collapse
No, nsd is not at OpenACS' bin path but AOLserver's. It might be somewhere like /usr/lib/aolserver4/bin/nsd or /usr/local/lib/aolserver4/bin/nsd.

If there are other instances running, you can do a "ps aufx" to see how they were started.

Collapse
There is no bin directory under aolserver.

/var/lib/aolserver

Where else should I look?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm just not familiar with the directory structure...

Collapse
I tried the ps aufx command which gave me a ton of stuff I didn't understand, but I did find an entry that might be relevant. So I tried:
/usr/local/aolserver4/bin/nsd -u smith -g web -t /var/lib/aolserver/dodss-cleat/etc/config.tcl

Which gave me:
[15/May/2008:11:30:06][1593.3086657216][-main-] Notice: nsd.tcl: starting to read config file...
[15/May/2008:11:30:06][1593.3086657216][-main-] Notice: nsd.tcl: using threadsafe tcl: 1
[15/May/2008:11:30:06][1593.3086657216][-main-] Notice: nsd.tcl: finished reading config file.
[15/May/2008:11:30:06][1593.3086657216][-main-] Fatal: nsmain: chdir(/usr/lib/aolserver4) failed: 'No such file or directory'

Site is still not up.

Collapse
It might be easier to explain on irc (#openacs @ freenode.net) and better for the forum. If you can't access it due to firewall restrictions, try any web based client like www.mibbit.com or such.
Collapse
I am on irc now. Thank you.