Forum OpenACS Development: Re: Categorization in 5.x

Collapse
6: Re: Categorization in 5.x (response to 1)
Posted by Malte Sussdorff on
Can you explain me, why you do not add your stuff to the Categorization Package of OpenACS, now that we finally managed to get it there :) ? It was hard enought to get *ONE* categorization module into OpenACS and there is still way to go to support it in all packages and not have each of them use their own one.

If you now go ahead and write *yet another* categorization system, what is the use? Could you add your features to the existing one and if you are unhappy with the UI, change it.

OTOH, if you see fundamental flaws in the current categories implementation that prevent it from beeing a generic solution usable by all packages, fix it or state it is not fixable, so we can take it out of the core again and prevent others from amending packages to run with this category package.

Collapse
8: Re: Categorization in 5.x (response to 6)
Posted by Joel Aufrecht on
On a related note, here are the four basic features I think any categorization package should provide to OpenACS:
  • UI to manage categories. This is fully implemented in the current package.
  • Documented code snippet to add to any OpenACS object's UI to associate the object with categories. (This is analagous to putting an "add/view comments" blurb, as documented in General_comments in Advanced Tutorial). As far as I know, this is not done.
  • Documented code snippet to display category info per object. Also analagous to comments. Also not done, AFAIK.
  • By adding a flag to list-builder, automatically filter objects by category. Not implemented.
Collapse
10: Re: Categorization in 5.x (response to 8)
Posted by Walter McGinnis on
Joel,

Dave Hill and I will probably be building some of what you are asking, for a site we are developing for pps.org.  We'll keep you posted.

Walter