Forum OpenACS Q&A: OpenACS 5.0/Login/possibly logged in status

I must say that I do like the fact that logins expire, however, sometimes it is a little difficult to navigate when the session has expired.

For instance, I have a subsite which requires a membership.  Navigating that subsite allows me to do everything, however, I am the administrator of the FAQ module, and no Administrator link exists.  So, I must log in.  Currently, I hit Admin or Your Account, log in, hit back, reload, and then my Administer link shows up.

Except for the fact that I don't see the Administer link, I wouldn't know that I wasn't logged in.  Perhaps there is a way for OpenACS to recognize that hey, this user does have admin, but, as soon as an admin link is clicked, it prompts for login.  I know there are packages that do this when the admin link is visible, i.e. ad_maybe_redirect_for_registration/ad_redirect_for_registration.

Perhaps that might be a little less confusing.

Maybe the 'Welcome, User Name" could become a link to re-login if the person was not logged in.  That would at least signify that there was another status.

I hate to add yet another button, things in the title bar seem crammed in enough as it is.  Perhaps the Logout Button could be changed to Login/Logout.

Just some thoughts.

Collapse
Posted by Jade Rubick on
Chris, please post this on bugtracker.

UI problems are bugs IMO.

Collapse
Posted by Lars Pind on
I've made some significant improvements on HEAD to the point where I think it's actually working quite beautifully.

Please you and others give it a spin for a short while, and if it works well for everyone, we might want to backport the HEAD fix to the 5.0 release.

/Lars